Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Old Dog, New Tricks

Many of  you know that we have cute German Shephard who is just so darn lovable.  We got her around three years ago when she was six or seven years old.  At the time, she was not socialized to other dogs and it caused some pretty big problems for us. SE has done a great job working with her and she is ever so much better--for him.  I've had problems a couple of times while I've been the one in charge of the dog.   The last and most traumatic was over a year ago when my dog attacked a neighbor's Welsh Corgi--I mean geez, that's not even a fair fight.  (Or maybe the Welsh Corgi attacked my dog, I don't know who called out whom.)  Anyway, I didn't get bitten trying to break up the fight, but my coat did, and I still have the holes to prove it.

Ever since then, I've been traumatized that my dog will attack someone else's dog on my watch.  It's to the point where I walk my dog late at night.  If I see someone else walking their dog, or another dog roaming free, I pretty much turn around and go somewhere else.  In essence, where SE has proactively worked with the dog, my solution to the problem has been to avoid the problem, to wit, it's not a problem if we never ever meet any other dogs.

I've asked SE to help me get over this fear because it isn't healthy for me and it isn't healthy for the dog, either.  Last night we went walking with the dog.  I was pretty complacent that it was late enough we didn't have to be worried about other dogs being out so I wasn't paying super close attention when all of a sudden, I feel a jerk on the leash and my dog lunges, pulling me after her.  I shrieked (sorry for doing that at bedtime, neighbors) and yanked back, sure I was about to witness my next traumatizing dog fight.  Just miliseconds after that, two ducks flew up and away from the dog's reach.  No dog fight here, and no duck dinner, either.

SE just laughed, but I, on the other hand, was suffering from PTSD (can that occur just seconds after the event, or is that TSD?)  Anyway, I start crying.  SE just laughs harder, and I can see the humor in the experience, so I was laughing on the inside.   

So, I'm thinking now that our old dog has learned new tricks, but her dog-mama, on the other hand, has a ways to go (frustrated sigh.)

No comments:

Post a Comment