Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Talent Show

I was reading my brother-in-law’s blog (which you can find here, along with some of his great music) and down at the bottom, he encourages everyone to get involved in a choir, perform in community theater, to write a song, or to learn a musical instrument. I love that he encourages us to do that, but I also get a little frustrated, because I don’t feel like I have any performable talents. I love to listen to music, but I’m pretty sure no one wants to see me on a stage, listening to my iPod. I have no background in the theater, unless being silly in general counts. It seems to me as if I am missing a few of the basic steps.



But it did get me thinking. What talents do I have that need dusting off? It seems to me that I have been so busy with my focus on other aspects of my life, I certainly have talents that could use some attention. One of my loves is photography. Since we’ve entered the digital era, this has become so mainstream I hardly even know if it’s considered a talent anymore. And I certainly have hundreds of lousy shots to prove that I’m nothing special. The thing I really appreciate about photography is learning to see. It’s not about who is going see my pictures, although I really love to show a picture that turned out really well. I notice that when I have my camera in hand, I am thinking about what would make a good picture. I take the time to notice things that other people normally wouldn’t see, like yesterday when I noticed the bees buzzing busily about the blossoms. (I really appreciated this moment because we’ve been experiencing a good deal of snow lately and it’s nice to see that spring is being stubborn about springing.) I took several shots with my new point and shoot and was frustrated because it was so hard to catch the bees in my frames. When I got too looking at my pictures, though, I realized that, if I really looked, I could see bees in most of my shots. What a miracle that is! Clearly I had slowed down, but I hadn’t slowed down enough. Slowing down—now THAT is a talent that needs dusting off.

No comments:

Post a Comment