Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Random Thoughts

Here's a shout out to all the Marchants, who recently lost Grandma Wanberg.  She was a fantastic lady.

My puppy's ear is broken!  She got a [hematoma, seroma, or blister-thingey--not sure what it's really called] that apparently is the result of a blood vessel breaking in between the flaps of skin that make up the ear.  The price to fix it?  Anywhere from $300-$1000.  SE said we could just buy a new dog for that price.  (What can I say? He has a dark sense of humor at times.)  If we ignore it, then the poor dog would have rotting flesh and could lose her ear.  Anyway, on the vet's advice, we decided to go with the drain-and-bandage procedure for $100, which may or may not work.  On Sunday when we checked it, it had filled up again so SE used a hypodermic needle to re-drain it and then bandaged it again.  I cried because it was hard to see my pup in pain and frightened. I hope this works, because otherwise, we are looking at the spendy option. 

In the meantime, our dog walks around with her head cocked to one side because of the weight of the bandage.  She also tries to shake it off or scratch it off with her paw, but she is quickly learning that we will tell her to "leave it" and make her stop. In fact, since we re-bandaged it on Sunday, she has been much better about leaving it alone.  Hopefully on Wednesday when I remove the bandages, all will be well and we can all just leave it alone.

Easter is coming, and I'm looking forward to spending time with family coming from out of town. The problem? Both my family and SE's family are coming from out of town, so I have to figure out how to split my time without offending either.  YIKES!  Looks like I will be pretty busy this weekend.  (SE will be out on the trail, and the kids are spending Easter with their mom this year.)

No comments:

Post a Comment